2016年5月31日星期二

Reflection

Digital making as the first interdisciplinary course that I chose for my last year study for my bachelor of Architectural studies, I realise this course is the most useful subject as a learning and working tool for my further architectural study and practice.
Through the learning process of digital and parametric design tools, I gained fundamental skills of operating hammers, saws, English roller and bar knife for metal shaping, which is a great way to transfer special knowledge of metal craftsmanship. the utilization of meshmixer, Autodesk 123D maker and Adobe Illustrator for all assessments demonstrate how the combination of software and hardware can refine model making process and make it efficiently, meanwhile, it also convey the theory of high technologies are changing human life.  
During the actual learning process, I do find some disadvantage of current shaping tools for these assessment, there are two major problems occurred: light reflection for photos and metal shaping. When I was trying to use Autodesk 123D catch to make a framework for my example,  the light reflection of my photos do case the misshape of the initial model, the use of semi-gloss paint for model’s surface and meshmixer do provide a pass way for adjustment but which is a hard process to make it as same as possible. Nonetheless, I realise there is a better way to achieve a finer point, which is the application of 3D scanner. Secondly, the shaping of metal is a terrified process through the whole semester, the best approach is using different type of hammers to create the shape patiently, and to improve this craftsmanship do need have enough experience which is hard for me in this short period. There is a minor problem that I think it can be possibly resolved is laser cutting, laser cutting as a new technology after industrialization do provide a quicker and more accuracy method to process 2D cutting, however, the skill of operating actual software is also need more practice for me to use the machine more proficiently.

Overall, I insist believe this course transfer lots of essential skills for my practice, as an interdisciplinary course, these skills are useful for all the students who learnt it and I do appreciated for all the knowledge that I learnt from this subject.



Kunsthaus Graz, by Peter Cook and Colin Fournier

没有评论:

发表评论